Electronic dance music — EDM as we call it — has blown up within the last 10 years in ways we could have never imagined. The industry has taken major strides and shifted from the underground to the mainstream with tons memorable moments along the way.
Billboard helps define this decade in EDM with The Top 100 EDM Moments the 2010s. This collective list covers the rise and fall Avicii, Swedish House Mafia‘s One Last Tour, Skrillex‘s launch American dubstep, Baauer‘s viral sensation, “Harlem Shake” — and so much more.
Daft Punk, deadmau5, Diplo, Calvin Harris, and many more are mentioned for their contributions. From Martin Garrix‘s “Animals” to the discovery Marshmello‘s true identity, to coining the term “EDM” — it’s all in there.
See the Top 10 below and check out the full list here Billboard.
Top 10 EDM Moments the 2010s
1. The rise and fall Avicii
2. “EDM” becomes dance music shorthand, and not without controversy
3. Swedish House Mafia’s One Last Tour (2012-2013)
4. Skrillex launches American dubstep
5. The emergence Disclosure’s “Latch”
6. Deadmau5’s ‘We All Hit Play’ post (2012)
7. “Harlem Shake” goes viral (2013)
8. Live Nation buys Cream Holdings, Insomniac Events and HARD Events (2012)
9. The Las Vegas residency wars
10. SFX declares bankruptcy (2016)
Source: Billboard | Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic