It’s truly hard to think that Martin Garrix, among all his accomplishments, is just 23 years old. And yet, that’s the reality we live in. Garrix was born May 14, 1996, making today his 23rd birthday!
Martin is many things, including a 3-time #1 DJ on the DJ Mag Top 100, as well as an award winner at the WDM Radio Awards, NRJ DJ Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, and more. He’s released a number massive hits and has a loyal, dedicated global following that hangs on his every word.
But how much do you really know about him? Super fans are sure to know everything we’re about to tell you, but for those who prefer to just listen to his music rather than delve deeper, here are 10 facts about Martin Garrix you might not know (but maybe you do).
- Garrix’s birth name is Martijn Gerard Garritsen as he is a Dutch, born in Amsterdam.
- Garrix, who had an interest in music from an early age, started playing the guitar at the age 8.
- He expressed the first interest in becoming a DJ in 2004 after he saw Tiësto perform at the Olympic Games in Athens.
- Garrix’s first headline performance was at the age 10 at his parents’ friends’ wedding. He also performed at several other small parties thereafter.
- Garrix graduated in 2013 from the Herman Brood Academy, a production school in Utrecht.
- Garrix’s first high-prile release was his remix “Your Body” by Christina Aguilera. Martin’s remix was so liked by Christina she decided to put it on the deluxe edition her album Lotus in 2012.
- Garrix’s debut TV appearance was alongside Bebe Rexha for “Scared to be Lonely” in 2017.
- Garrix has been a brand ambassador for Armani Exchange in 2017 and 2018, as well as AXE in 2018.
- Garrix released a book in 2018 called MARTIN GARRIX LIFE = CRAZY to coincide with ADE, containing photographs his career life and personal life. The photographs featured in the book were all taken by Louis Van Baar.
- Garrix done a lot philanthrophy, including performing an event in LA in 2016 for Fuck Cancer, as well as various shows and tours that gave proceeds to charities in India and South Africa. In February 2019, Garrix visited the SOS Children’s Village in South Africa while on tour for Ultra South Africa. During his visit, Garrix performed a one-hour DJ set to a crowd one hundred children and young people, some aged just three years old and accompanied by their SOS mothers.
Happy birthday to Martin! Listen to his latest song “Summer Days” with Macklemore and Patrick Stump Fall Out Boy below.